Frameworks are considered a vital part of any web development process for constructing interactive web applications. While the frontend takes care of the user experience, the backend is what facilitates an application to function.
Backend frameworks are the libraries of server-side languages that aids in building the server configuration of any website. It is essential to use the right technology for developing websites or you can seriously affect your application usage.
Express.js, also known as Express, is a Node.js web application framework and open-source software available under the MIT license. It is used for building APIs and web applications and is considered a standard Node.js server framework.
Express is a MEAN stack back-end component along with the AngularJS frontend framework and MongoDB databases. Express is viewed as one of the best web application development frameworks.
Developer(s): TJ Holowaychuk, Strongloop and others
- Initial release: November 16, 2010
- GitHub stars: 53896 (github.com)
- 1626 companies use express.js (stackshare.io)
- Easy learning curve
- Utilizes full-stack JS features
- Provide high performance
- Fast server-side programming
- No security
- Not opinionated
- Error messages are hard to understand
Top companies using Express.js:
Django is a leading open-source backend framework based on the Python programming language. It follows the model view controller (MVC) pattern. Django is suitable for the development of sophisticated and feature-rich database-driven websites. Django is considered one of the best backend web development frameworks.
This back-end framework facilitates optimal pluggability, reduced coding, greater reusability, and faster development. It uses Python for all its operations and provides an optional admin interface to help create, read, update, and delete operations. Django is utilized by many renowned websites such as Disqus, Mozilla, and The Washington Times.
Developer(s): Adrian Holovaty, Simon Willson, Software Foundation
- Initial release:21 July 2005
- GitHub stars: 57069 (github.com)
- 2329 companies use Django (stackshare.io)
- Fast framework
- Optimal security
- High scalability
- Versatile framework
- Naming system- Django features its making system for all tools and features. it also has an easy-to-use admin panel in comparison to Yii and Laravel.
- Simple syntax
- Django is too monolithic.
- Everything is based on Django ORM.
- Components get deployed together.
- Knowledge of the full system is required to work.
Top companies using Django:
Laravel is an open-source PHP web framework for developing Symfony-based web applications that follow the Model View Controller (MVC) architecture. It offers a modular packaging system equipped with a dedicated dependency manager. Laravel is rated as one of the best web frameworks.
Laravel also provides its users with multiple ways of accessing relational databases along with application maintenance and deployment utilities. Laravel has an MIT license and has a source code hosted on GitHub.
Developer(s): Taylor Otwell
- Initial release: June 2011
- GitHub stars: 63100+ (github.com)
- 3131 companies use Laravel (stackshare.io)
- Authentication-implementing authentication is simple with Laravel
- Simple API
- Cache Backends
- Logs-A Laravel project has a pre-configured exception and error handling. Laravel also has Monolog logging library integration and offers support for multiple log handlers.
- Testing: Laravel is test-friendly and offers PHP Unit support along with a ready-to-use phpunit.xml file for applications
- Features a lightweight Template Engine
- MVC Architecture Support
- Eloquent Object Relational Mapping
- good Security
- It is difficult for legacy systems to get transferred to Laravel.
- It is lightweight so it has less inbuilt support in comparison to Django and rails. But this problem can be solved by integrating third-party tools, but for large and very custom websites it may be a tedious task.
Top Companies using Laravel:
Ruby on Rails also known as Rails, is a Ruby-based server-side web application framework with an MIT License. Rails is an MVC framework offering database default structures, web pages, and web services. Ruby on Rails is one of the best frameworks for web development.
Developer(s): David Heinmeier Hansson
- Initial release: August 2004
- GitHub stars: 47300+ (github.com)
- 3279 companies use ruby on Rails (stackshare.io)
- MVC Architecture
- Active Record – Ruby on Rails relies on a library known as an active record
- Convention over Configuration
- Testing is simple
- Runtime Speed and Performance. One of the most frequent arguments against RoR is its 'slow' runtime speed
- Lack of Flexibility.
Top Companies Using Ruby on Rails:
Flask is a Python-based micro web framework that does not require specific libraries and tools. This backend does not have form validation, a database abstraction layer, or components that require functions from external sources. Flask provides support for extensions that can add features in a manner that seems like they are implemented within Flask.
Developer(s): Armin Ronacher
- Initial release: April 1, 2010
- GitHub stars: 54708 (github.com)
- 980 companies use Flask (stackshare.io)
- Development simplicity
- Optimal performance
- Modular nature
- Offers debugger functions and development servers
- WSGI compliance
- Unicode-based backend
- Google App Engine friendly
- Utilizes Jinja2 templates
- Integrated unit testing aid
- Extensions for better functionality
- Secure cookies can be created
- Not suitable for big applications.
- Small Community.
- No admin site.
- No login or authentication.
- Migrations can be difficult.
Top Companies using Flask:
Business Analyst at RaftLabs.